Thursday, April 12, 2012

Did we fail?



#OccupyNigeria is a movement that is rooted on the grounds of oppression, cultivated on the stem of enslavement and finally germinated on the branch of Justice.

Welcome to My world.

"I AM PROUD OF MYSELF" before you start throwing stones, let me tell you the reason; I stood up for what I believed in.
Call it arrogance or petty pride; I believe modesty is not needed in this instance.
I trekked from Yaba to Ojota (Gani Fawehinmi Park) 4 times, 4 TIMES!!!! ...Say what you want to say but for those who really know me, they will tell you that was a great achievement. I didn’t walk because I was getting paid nor did I walk because a war was imminent; I & thousands of Lagos youths walked against oppression, injustice, enslavement, tyranny, the list is endless.
 In the course of the walk I saw the face of most youths, while some were happy to walk the distance because of the mini carnival staged at the end of the journey, others were taking the opportunity to visit friends (because we were virtually under house arrest at this stage) but there was a particular group that walked with conviction that change is imminent.
 Naturally, the average Nigerian is laid back, happy to live a contented & comfortable life, avoids trouble & tolerates the shenanigans of the wasteful government but all that changed on 1st January, 2012 when Mr president decided to test our patience a little more (not knowing we were fed up already).
 We all know the story, the walks, fights, killings, propaganda, lies in high places, more lies in high places, NLC's stand & eventual betrayal, TUC's rise & eventual (I hope perpetual) fall, tenacity of Tunde Bakare, Femi Falana etc , the noisemaking of most celebs, Seun Kuti's smoking skills, AY.com's try @ a comeback, mohits' silence, Eedris' rant, mind boggling displays from some (surely enhanced) youths, GEJ's silence, GEJ's answer, Assassins dressed as soldiers posted on the streets of Lagos etc... Through it all, I was there.
OccupyNigeria opened my eyes to a lot of good & bad things but definitely the worst thing is the nonchalant behaviour of some Nigerian youths, while some foreigners, even celebs (McHammer et al) were urging us on and wishing us luck, some overfed & brainless youths were busy mocking the movement and defending the government's stance. This is for another day.
 Well, I think we did what we could and we were rightly disappointed at the eventual outcome (Fuel price got increased by 50% and the present administration is still ripping us off), some people might think we failed but I know we didn’t because we got the attention of the international media & the world(Aljazeera was all over it),we got the attention of the Nigerian government (They sent the military) and above all, I realised some Nigerians (I, inclusive) could actually stand to say NO to injustice & oppression. Can You?

Below are pictures of our walk and actions during the cause, I'm gutted most of them got missing but glad I could still salvage a few.















No comments:

Post a Comment